It's now time for:
This week's Thursday Thirteen is...
Amazing Facts About Cats:
- A domestic cat is the only cat species that can hold it's tail vertically while walking. All wild cats hold their tails horizontally or tucked between their legs while walking.
- Sir Isaac Newton invented the cat door.
- The giraffe, camel and cat are the only four legged animals that walk by moving both their left feet, then both their right feet.
- A group of kittens is called a kindle. (I always thought it was a litter and that kindle was a book thing from Amazon)
- A group of grown cats is called a clowder.
- Cats rub against purrsons, other cats, dogs, etc. to mark them with their scent glands. They most often use the scent glands between their eyes and ears.
- A cat that bites a purrson after a tummy rub is probably doing so out of pleasure, not anger.
- Egyptians shaved their eyebrows as a sign of mourning after losing a beloved cat.
- A cat has 24 whiskers which it uses for measuring distance.
- A cat can see 6 times better than a bean at night.
- A domestic kitty can sprint about 31 miles an hour.
- Most cats do not have eyelashes.
- A quivering tail is one of the greatest expressions of adoration a cat can bestow upon a bean.
Click here to see more Thursday Thirteen participants. Back to bitey the Doctor.
Those are interesting facts!ReplyDelete
I often bite my mom when she tries to rub my tummy!
Wow! "A domestic kitty can sprint about 31 miles an hour."
Nice 13. In regards to number 3, I used to own a camel (Kookamunga) and can vouch for the fact that they can do this, especially when they start to really move out. If only giraffes, camels and cats did this, it would be quite the exclusive club. Unfortunately, you are also going to have to let in horses. In harness racing, it is the pacers that do this. And not to add insult to injury, I need to let you know that my half dachshund-half Shitzu does this even at a slow walk. But he's just wierd.ReplyDelete
These were very interesting facts Reese that we did no know. Hopefully we will remember some of them - we thought 'kindle' was what you did with the fire!ReplyDelete
We have to admit we felt a bit sorry for your vet!!
Hope you are nicer to the real one than you are with the pillow!
Martha & Bailey xxx
Oh.. yeah.... it IS fun to put the bitey on the bean after a good tummy rub!!! TY Reese for a great list. We learn-ed stuff today!ReplyDelete
Thank you for the facts about US. I knew we are quite wonderful---this just proves it!ReplyDelete
Taking aggression out on the V-E-T is great, carry on. We didn't know we were going 31 MPH. Mom was pretty sure we flying pretty fast though! Love these facts. Muffina and Jelly Bean.ReplyDelete
....kits and cats spend 40-50% of their waking hours grooming.....ReplyDelete
That's a great cat toy! We really like our vet but we've been to a few that we'd like to put the bitey on!ReplyDelete
Some interesting things that we did not know!Now we need a nap after all that learnin'.ReplyDelete
Purrs and hugs,
The Kitty Krew
I like your vet doll. I'd love to bunny kick that!ReplyDelete
Please give the vet doll a bite from me too.ReplyDelete
Love your kitty blog! And love your 13 kitty facts... those are Puurrrrfect!ReplyDelete
thanks for visitin' us an' also for enlightenin' us! ya just can't know too much about kitties!!ReplyDelete
Very interesting, Reese!ReplyDelete
That vet toy looks like the perfect toy for biting. Real hard!
That is very interesting. I am guessing that if there is biting before the tummy rub (like when you try to) that is less a sign of love and more "hey, don't do that".ReplyDelete
That is a great vet toy by the way!
I must make sure that Meowm reads this. She thinks I am weird when I quiver my tail at her. Thanks for all the facts!ReplyDelete
We like your toy Reese! And we certainly learned a lot about kitties today! We thought a group of kittens was called cute!ReplyDelete
GREAT Amazing Facts,ReplyDelete
it makes my mommy smile :)
Btw: I love your new Vet toy !!
hugs Kareltje =^.^=
Those are interesting facts. I quiver my tail at dad all the time. Flynn does it sometimes too, but not as much as me.ReplyDelete
That is a great list of facts. Thanks for the info.ReplyDelete
Tavi, Cody, Camie, Miss Jade and Gracie
Thanks for the good wishes, Reese. We are going to take it one day at a time and hope that we get a lot of days and weeks and months and maybe even years before the nasty lump comes back.ReplyDelete
woos, the OP Pack
#13 was interesting. I will have to watch my kitties for that one.ReplyDelete
Cool, many facts there that I didn't know! And Trouble owes me some tail-twitches, I think ...ReplyDelete
We own a clowder. Fancy that!ReplyDelete
One of my cats marked my son last night. If it wasn't the first time, it sure was ONE of the first.ReplyDelete
He, of course, was over the moon.
btw, I have two Devon Rexes. Would you please tell them that part about the whiskers???
haha! love that toy. i was at target and saw a similar toy labeled "the ex."ReplyDelete
i don't have cats but i found the fact about the cat biting you after a tummy rub does so in pleasure not anger, to be interesting. i have been bitten by many cats after rubbing their tummies, so i just stopped altogether because i thought i was doing something wrong!
Hmm that was very informative didnt know a lot of them :)ReplyDelete
Thanks for stopping by on mine!
Wow. Sir Isaac Newton must really love his cats. ^_^ReplyDelete
Do you hate the vet that much Reese? Come on, he only wants to make you feel better...